Recently Dr Ashish sabharwal gave a talk on “Urinary Problems in Elderly“ at the 16th Annual Caregivers Meet for Alzheimer’s Diseases patients
Organised by HOPE EK A.S.H.A (Regd 2001)
Held at Constitutional Club of India , Rafi Marg, New Delhi.
Key highlights are:
1) Urinary problems are very common after age 50years
2) Common symptoms include:
- Increased frequency of urination, specially at night
- Urgency and leakage of urine
- Reduced urinary flow
- Inability to empty the bladder completely
3) Affects 50% of Elderly males.
4) Urinary Problems are not a normal part of ageing.
5) 80% cases, the cause is not a major disease and can be controlled by medicines.
6) 20% of cases , it can be due to Prostate Cancer, Urinary Bladder Cancer or Kidney Cancer, that needs to be treated.
7) When someone has urinary complaints , they should not ignore it and have themselves examined by a Super specialist Urologist.